The significant redevelopment of the main block at Wellington East Girls’ College involved preserving the historical 1920’s brick façade and vestibule of the main block, behind which sits a new state of the art building, West Wing and circulation Link building.
The new facilities provide a new heart for the School and include a cultural centre (Whare Manaaki), performance precinct including music studios and drama suites, art studios, media suite with green room, sound recording, cinema and video editing suite, library, extensive food technology space and a café.
Principal Sally Haughton comments on the School’s vision. “We did a lot of research and visited many schools to help us make strong decisions in answer to the question – how will learning be in the future?
The redevelopment has allowed us to plan a modern, 21st century building that will restore the heart of the school, with spaces that have been designed for us to enhance the learning transformation. There was a sense that we needed to retain our historical façade, in order to connect the future development of the school to our strong past and tradition.”
The team delivering this transformative project included The Building Intelligence Group Wellington as project managers, Naylor Love as the Main Contractor, WSP Opus, Rider Levett Bucknall, and Holmes Fire & Safety.
This is one of the Ministry of Education’s largest school projects in Wellington city and at the peak of the project there were over 200 contractors will be present on site.